In 1867 Governor George Grey exchanged Te Atiawa land interests in Wainuiomata
with a block of land which is now part of central Palmerston North. The
Palmerston North Maori Reserve was established to administer this land on
behalf of the 22 affected owners. Today there are nearly 650 beneficial owners,
descending from those 22.
The original reserve was around 70 acres but today is approximately 36 acres,
mainly as a result of the Crown compulsorily acquiring 28 acres for city
facilities. Much of the remaining land was subdivided for housing and leased
The Palmerston North Maori Reserve is an Ahu Whenua Trust. The Managing
Trustees have embarked on a process to actively manage the reserve to increase
the return to the beneficial owners.
Baxters and Palmy
31, which provide hostel accomodation in Palmerston North, are recent
developments which are helping to increase returns to owners.